Catalina Marketing is an advertising company that has paired up with grocery retailers to bring consumers a variety of coupons and promos. The little machine sits by the register and prints out coupons and news about upcoming promotions. Many times catalinas are triggered by items you purchase. Other times, more general catalinas print out, letting you know about upcoming offers or passing along a discount to a local retailer.
In my opinion, the best type of catalinas are the ones that give you a certain amount off your next shopping trip. These specific catalinas look like the one pictured above and are, in essence, a gift card to use in the future! They have very few limitations, other than the expiration date. I've used several catalinas in one transaction and I've purchased a wide variety of items using them- a gallon of milk, diapers, fresh produce, etc.
A great strategy is to use a catalina to pay for items that will generate another catalina. Most catalinas roll at grocery stores, meaning you can use the same catalina to pay for items to trigger the exact same catalina again.
In my experience, the store is not helpful in regards to correcting the situation of catalinas not printing. It's not uncommon for store employees to not even be aware of catalina offers in effect! Remember, the machine is actually operated by a separate company, Catalina Marketing. I suggesting working with them to resolve the issue. Here are two ways to approach it:
- Call Catalina Marketing (877) 210-1917, option 1. The entire process normally takes about 5 minutes and every Customer Service Representative I've spoken with has been friendly and helpful.
- Email Catalina Marketing at firstname.lastname@example.org. Requests will be resolved within 2-3 days.
- The store name and address where you shopped.
- The date and time you checked out.
- The number printed on your receipt after the time stamp.
- The items you purchased and what catalina you were expecting.
- Your name and address.
Do you have any additional questions about catalinas? Leave a comment!