Here are this month's Top 10 FREE Utah Events, courtesy of Rachel from Fabulously Free Utah! The June calendar is practically exploding with summer events of one sort or another. Be sure to check out the Event Calendar, because 10 items barely scratches the surface of all that is going on this month!!
10. Viridian Event Center and West Jordan Library Grand Opening: The grand opening of the Viridian Event Center and West Jordan Library, with the theme “Dream Big,” will be held on Saturday, June 2. The ribbon cutting will be at 10 a.m. and the fair from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. at 1825 West 8030 South.
The grand opening will be in conjunction with the annual Summer Reading Kickoff Party as well as the Health and Preparedness Fair in the event center and park.Movies in the Park: This month is the beginning of movies in the park, all over the valley. June 1 marks the first event at Liberty Park. The movies continue Fridays throughout the rest of the summer at various venues and parks. If you plan it right, you could make Friday night movie night all summer long. Just remember to bring along chairs blankets and snacks.
8. Farmer's Markets: It's the beginning of the Farmer's Market season, my favorite time of year. One might argue that they aren't free events, because you do have to pay for any produce that you want. But, if you have ever been to a market before you know that half the fun is the atmosphere and there is almost always some activity going on outside of the actual selling. This month you can hit them at Pioneer Park downtown Salt Lake, Provo Pioneer Park or Gardner Village, all Saturday mornings.
7. National Parks Fee Free Day: A few times a year, the National Parks offer fee free days. June 9 happens to be one of them. So, if you are thinking about making a trip to one of Utah's National Parks: Zion's, Arches, Capital Reef, Canyonlands; go that weekend and save $25! If you've never been, I highly recommend any or all of them.
6. Gateway Chalk Art Festival: Friday & Saturday, June 15th & 16th. If you have never been to the Chalk Art Festival at the Gateway Mall you are missing something incredible. Local artists come together in support of the Utah Foster Care and create incredible works of chalk all down the center of the Gateway. You will not believe the caliber of the work. And your children will be blown away. While you're there, you might as well hit the fountain!
5. Saratoga Splash: The city of Saratoga Springs is holding its annual celebration June 2 to June 9. There are all kinds of fun events to attend, here are a few of the highlights: Thurs. June 7, bring a picnic dinner to Neptune Park, stay for dessert, bounce houses and a free showing of Dolphin Tale. Friday, June 8 head to Sunrise Meadow Park for a city wide water fight. Bring your own water guns and let the fire department hose you down! Saturday June 9 watch the Grand Parade at 10:00 and then head to Neptune Park for free family games from 12:00 to 4:00.
4. Springville Art City Days: The 2012 Springville Art City Days, also June 2 to 9 is bound to be a hit for the whole family. There are plenty of activities from free concerts, amazing fireworks, the Children's Art Fair more! Carnival and other activities will be held at the Arts Park. Bring your family and friends to the The Grand Parade, Activities at the Pool, Talent Festival, Hot Air Balloons, Children's Art Contest, Children's Parade, Children's Art Fair and Fireworks.
3. Fort Douglas Days: Help celebrate the 150th Anniversary of the founding of Fort Douglas in 1862. Lots of schools groups and veterans and families visit the Fort Douglas Museum and have a great time. The celebration will be held June 16 from 10:00 to 2:00. There will be indoor exhibits, and outside see tanks, cannons and helicopters to explore.
2. Radio Disney Days: The Gallivan Center and Radio Disney AM 910 team up to host the ultimate field trip for kids in Salt Lake City! Kids enjoy prizes, Disney Dancers, face painters, a bounce house, a train, and other cool stuff just for them. The event begins 11am-2pm on June 19.
1. Venture Outdoors Festival: The Venture Outdoors Festival held on Saturday June 16, 2012 is a celebration of outdoor recreation. This unique festival, held in Millcreek Township, is designed to increase awareness, participation, and appreciation for the many recreational opportunities available in Utah. This free, family-friendly event features live music, recreation clinics, guest speakers, giveaways, creative children's activities and great food all day long. Events begin at 8:00 am and run all day at Canyon Rim Park 3100 South 2900 East.
So, don't let your kids use the "I'm bored!" excuse once this summer. Get out there and have a blast!